Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Olivia and the Fairy Princesses


Book: Olivia and the Fairy Princesses by Ian Falconer
Target audience: 3 and up
Topic: Being true to who you are
Basic summary: Olivia the pig decides she doesn't want to be like everyone else.

Princesses aren't my favorite thing in the world (except Kate but I guess she's technically a duchess so that doesn't count). I feel like it makes me a weird mom but it's true. I know tons of girls who adore them and, hey, that's fine. I'm just trying to buck the trend.

We love the Olivia series by Ian Falconer. I waited for a few weeks for the newest one to become available from our library. I wasn't thrilled about it when I picked it up. After all, look at the title! Oh well, we'd give it a try anyway.

It turns out that it's an anti-princess book! Olivia decides that since everyone else wants to be a princess, being one isn't special anymore. After making that realization (!), she seeks a new life's goal. Her final choice will make you smile. 

This book is one of my favorites of the series. No, not just because of its take on princesses. It's a charming tale, wonderfully illustrated as always. I love the message for my kids that they can be whoever they want to be. And yes, that would include being a princess if my daughter so chooses.

Want another book in this series? Try Olivia Forms a Band. It's a kick in the pants to read because you have to make all the sounds of a marching band. And there's a sweet little picnic with fireworks to make you nostalgic for summer.


1 comment:

  1. OFFENSIVE PORTRAYAL OF ADOPTION
    As Olivia tries on identities, she considers: "Or maybe adopt orphans from all over the world!" The image: diapered babies, multi-ethnic, with sad mouths and blank stares, with Olivia smiling proudly as she surveys her brood.

    1) the message implies adoption as philanthropy, and if the intent is to poke fun at high profile international adoptions, that is a message with NO PLACE in a children's book.

    2) implies adoption as occupation

    3) portrays adopted children as sad victims, as vulnerable

    4) typifies adopted children as children of color

    4) the bottom line - how could the author, publisher and all the people involved in creating this book think, for one minute, that it is appropriate for ANY child to receive these messages, let alone adopted children, from a CHILDREN'S BOOK!

    This book has astonished and angered me to no end. I honestly want to burn it.

    ReplyDelete