Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Handling adoption


Adoption is heavily on my mind this week. My grandma is dealing with significant memory loss which I witnessed on a visit over the weekend. My mom passed away this summer. These changes have put family to the forefront every day. I'm grateful for the family I have and am devastated that I am starting to lose them.

The timing was striking that The Oregonian Omamas blog featured an article (click here) about how adoption should be handled in the classroom. The issues some adopted students face were not my issues, but they should definitely be considered with care. 

I was adopted from birth. It was a closed adoption. I know pretty much nothing about my biological parents. Not their names, whether I have any other biological family, or what they are doing today. What I do know is that I am so lucky to have been adopted by two fantastic people who were/are an incredible mom and dad. I grew up knowing stories about their parents and siblings. We took trips to spend time with them and also my cousins.

Because my adoption was from birth, it was closed, and there was never any secret that I was adopted, many people probably don't even know about it. Unlike the examples in the article, I thankfully do have a baby book and photos of me just a few days old. I was able to construct a family tree in grade school without too much trouble. My parents did a remarkable job explaining adoption to me as a child and helping me understand just how special it made me.

My thanks to the newspaper for highlighting this important topic and giving me the chance to pass along the wonderful resources in the article.


Some suggested books: As a child, my parents read me The Family That Grew by Florence Rondell and Ruth Michaels. It appears that it's out of print. They also read me Why Was I Adopted by Carole Livingston. The latter book is available from the Washington County Library

2 comments:

  1. Count me among the people who did not know this about you. Thank you for sharing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not something that comes up often but is a very important part of who I am.

    ReplyDelete