Monday, October 8, 2012

Friendship


I can't stop thinking about something my son said the other day.

Me: Who is your favorite friend at school?
My son: William*
Me: Why?
My son: Because he likes me
*name has been changed

Well, there you go. "Because he likes me."

I kind of laughed it off. "I can't believe he likes someone just because that kid likes him," I thought.


Then I thought about it more.

All my friendships started with the idea that we liked each other. Even ones that have lasted since high school. More recently developed friendships, ones that have only existed since I had my kids, began with liking each other and liking how our kids interacted. 

I admit that simply being liked by someone isn't enough for a close friendship to stand the test of time. It sure helps to like the friend back based on similar perspective, mutual interest, or common experience.

But, as is often the case, the words my son spoke were much more true than I at first realized. It got me thinking about the friends in my life. It got me thinking about this new friendship of his and whether it will also stand the test of time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment