Friday, October 5, 2012

Mediterranean Chicken Salad Pitas

I admit it. I'm kind of a pita junkie. I love that I can combine some fresh ingredients with a protein, add some sauce, and dinner's ready. Plus it's easy to deconstruct for the kids.



RECIPE: Mediterranean Chicken Salad Pitas  (adapted from this Cooking Light recipe)
Serves: 6 servings of 2 pita halves
Time: about 20 minutes (if the chicken is cooked ahead of time)

CAN KIDS HELP? They can help make the sauce and could chop the vegetables

1 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used Fage 2%)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional) - I used less than this

3 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 large red pepper, chopped
1/2 cup diced red onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 15-ounce can reduced salt garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained

6 (6-inch) whole wheat pitas, cut in half
12 Butter lettuce leaves
6 slices tomato

Make sauce
Combine first four ingredients in a bowl. I feel pretty strongly that fresh lemon juice is the way to go. This citrus press has been really helped. I use it all the time.

Make filling
Combine chicken and next four ingredients (through beans) in a large bowl. I used 3 small chicken breasts (I season them with salt and pepper, cook for 8-9 minutes per side until done).
This ended up being about 3 cups
 

Add yogurt sauce to chicken mixture, toss gently to coat.

To serve
Line each pita half with one lettuce leaf and one or two tomato slices. Add chicken mixture to each pita.

For the kids
The plain yogurt isn't their fave, so I deconstructed this meal. Here's what they got:
Milk, pita with peanut butter, chicken, peppers, cilantro, lettuce, tomato, and some of the pita filling in the center
My son did pretty well! My daughter filled up on milk but ate all her chicken.


No comments:

Post a Comment