Friday, October 26, 2012

Apple Pasta Salad

I love a good pasta salad especially one that comes together quickly and utilizes fall flavors like apples and pecans. The amounts in this recipe are also very flexible which makes using what you've got on hand convenient.


RECIPE: Apple Pasta Salad  (adapted from this Parents magazine recipe)
Serves: 4
Time: about 20 minutes

CAN KIDS HELP? Yes. They can help measure and stir.

3 cups cooked pasta, any small shape is fine (I used farfalle here)
1-2 small apples cored and chopped
1/2 a cucumber, seeds removed, and chopped
1/4 cup chopped pecans (I've used walnuts before and they work too)
1/4 cup raisins (I like golden but regular are fine)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese



Let me introduce you to another work horse in my kitchen. The melon baller! It's great for de-seeding veggies like cucumbers or tomatoes. 
All ingredients except the pasta
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl except the lemon juice which can just be squeezed on top. Sprinkle with cheese.

How did the kids do?

BEFORE:
Left: my daughter's plate. Right: my son's
They got a portion of the completed salad, and also the ingredients on their own (cucumbers, apples, pecans, parsley, cheese, and plain pasta)
AFTER: 
They both did great with the separate components. I got my son to try a bite of the assembled salad and he liked it.


No comments:

Post a Comment