Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Grocery Shopping with Kids



I usually grocery shop with my kids. I have many friends who don't. It's worked for me so I've stuck with it.

How?

I'm sure there's a multitude of reasons, but I use one trick regularly.

I put each child in charge of some items from my list. 

I shop at the same store every week. I work through the store in the same pattern (produce, grocery, dairy, bread). So, when we enter the store, I choose 3 items that will be spread out on our shopping trip for each child to look for. The items should be relatively light and found within reach of the cart or the floor depending on which of my kids is in charge of them.

Typical items might include: oranges, bananas, tomato sauce, dry pasta, beans, chocolate chips, granola bars, peanut butter, paper towels, toothpaste, plastic bags, milk, cheese, yogurt, bagels, bread.

Whenever a child gets grumpy or when I know we are approaching one of the items, we talk about it.

"What color will it be?"
"How high up will you find it?"
"Which item do you think you'll find next?"
"How much will this cost?"
"Will it be heavy or light?"

This is really just another form of distraction, but the kids love controlling part of the shopping trip.

Tell me more
How do you manage shopping with kids? Or when do you shop so as to avoid bringing them?

No comments:

Post a Comment