Tuesday, September 4, 2012

"Why Play is Serious"


Have a few minutes? Interested in the research that supports a play-based preschool? I found the link for the article that was passed out at A Child's Way parent meetings this week.

"Why Play is Serious" by Alison Gopnik published in the Smithsonian, July/August 2012.

In particular, I found the comparison between preschoolers and scientists interesting. "The idea is that children at play are like pint-sized scientists testing theories. They imagine ways the world could work and predict the pattern of data that would follow if their theories were true, and then compare that pattern with the pattern they actually see."

I never thought of it that way but I'll try to keep it in mind the next time I see my kids playing. Little scientists at work. I love that.

No comments:

Post a Comment