Friday, September 21, 2012

Banana Bread

This morning, my husband woke up to the smell of my banana bread baking. He said, "Why can't you just make that every morning at 6 am so I can smell it when I wake up?" Well, uh, there are many reasons, but I do make this as often as I can.




RECIPE: Best ever Banana Bread  (unfortunately, source is unknown, but I did get it from one of those email recipe exchanges a decade ago from someone named Torrie Nelson)
Serves: 10 slices
Time: 90 minutes (including baking time)

CAN KIDS HELP? Yep. This is a great one for little ones to help with measuring and stirring.

2 ripe bananas, mashed
2 eggs
1  3/4 cups unsifted flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x5 inch pan.
Combine all ingredients in one large bowl and mix well by hand. 

Transfer to pan. Bake until golden brown and slightly split (1 hour 15 minutes - 1 hour 20 minutes). Check for doneness with a toothpick. I think it's best eaten the day of baking. There's a delicious crust that forms. However, cover with plastic wrap and enjoy for days ahead too.


2 comments:

  1. Fairly similar to 'my' recipe (though I use butter instead of oil). I'll have to try yours - love the smell of banana bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh please do. It's always a hit with kids and adults alike around here.

      Delete