Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Depth


While eating dinner with my kids solo since my husband was working late yesterday, I heard my son make a joke I've heard many times before.

Him: Mom, how old am I?
Me: 5
Him: No, 647 (followed by laughter).

Then my daughter joined in.
Her: Mom, you know how old I am?
Me: 3
Her: No, 100 (followed by laughter from both).

Now, there's definitely something to be said for family togetherness, counting skills and making a math joke. However, at that moment, I gazed outside, and realized that I'm in desperate of some depth. In my conversations. A conversation lasting more than three lines. A conversation that challenges my critical thinking skills. A conversation - a real conversation. Then my daughter spilled her milk. Daydream...over.

Can anyone else relate?

No comments:

Post a Comment