Sunday, May 6, 2012

Seeds for the future


My husband has worked very hard this spring getting parts of our garden started...from seed! We have some basil, cilantro, parsley and peas already outside thanks to his painstaking work.

It got me thinking about the seeds of our ideas. How do we know what we want in life? I remember being little. I wanted to be many things back then. I look back now and see aptitudes from my teen years than I never nurtured. Writing was one of them. Reading was another. How did I go from a teenager who loved writing and reading to one who became a biology major in college? Where did my interest in the arts go?

Just yesterday, I was considering my current life as a homemaker with two small kids. What do I want to see this life become as my children grow older and enter school? My goals seem to align well with my younger self. I don't see much in the sciences. I see it in the humanities -- reading and writing. I thought, "Wouldn't it be great to be able to review books or something?"

Then -- boom -- I saw this tweet from Real Simple magazine (@RealSimple):  How would you like to review books for Real Simple? Get the details here: http://www.realsimple.com/static/forms/form-book-review.html

Incredible. Seriously. I don't know if I believe in signs, but this sure seems like a wish granted. 

What long lost interests do YOU wish you could rekindle? I think I just found mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment