Sunday, April 8, 2012

Family Roots


I've gotten hooked into the recent genealogy shows "Finding Your Roots" and "Who Do You Think You Are." Granted, part of the appeal is the way the shows create suspense and surprise as they reveal the family trees of famous people. However, it makes me think about the bigger questions regarding our nation's history, racial relationships, and the amazing system of documentation that exists if a person chooses to pursue it.

I think, "Wow--I'd LOVE to do that." However, for me it gets more complicated because I am adopted. I know almost nothing about my birth parents (not even their names).

Where do our true roots lie? In our blood ancestors or in the people who raised us and their families? Interestingly, each time I watch a show, I think about how I can't quite claim either for a family tree. Would I need to research both lines to feel I have a complete picture of where I come from? Despite being very comfortable with having been adopted, it has caught me by surprise how apart I feel from the people on these shows. How jealous that they can claim these family trees and I can't. I also wonder if other people who are adopted feel the same or is this just me?

Still, I can't wait until tonight's episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment