Monday, April 9, 2012

Egg Salad


I was late to the egg party. I admit it: they have never been my favorite. Add to that the Atkins diet I participated in 10 years ago (I know) and the bazillion eggs I ate for it. I don't think they ever will be my fave. But I try.
I ate a deviled egg at Easter yesterday (and was pleasantly surprised), sometimes have them scrambled, and I do love some post-Easter egg salad. 

I studied biology in college and it ruined lots of foods for me. I can't get my brain to stop thinking about their function. I'm not a big fan of meat either. However, thanks to the compromises that are so important in marriage, I make it a few times a week for dinner. However, it's in the very un-Michael-Pollan forms of boneless-skinless chicken or ground beef. Sometimes sausage. Don't get me started on eggs though. They need to be far from their raw state for me to handle them. I think I'd be vegan if I could but it would make my husband so sad.

If you're still interested in my egg salad recipe (found in The Oregonian newspaper 3 years ago), and I hope you are because it's great, please enjoy.

Curried Egg Salad with Apples

6 hard-cooked eggs
2 T diced red onion
1/2 medium tart apple, cored and chopped (about 1/2 C)
3 or 4 T plain greek yogurt
1 t dijon mustard
3 or 4 T lemon juice
1 t curry powder
1/2 to 1 t salt (to taste)


Peel eggs, place in medium bowl and roughly chop with a fork or pizza wheel. Add onion and apple and mix. Add yogurt and mustard and mix. Add lemon juice and mix. Add curry powder and salt and mix well. Adjust curry powder and salt to taste. Serve on toasted rye bread with lettuce. Yield: 4 sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment