Thursday, April 5, 2012

Body Image and Mommy Wars


I read quite a few blogs. Wait. I scan quite a few blogs. Rarely to do I read every word unless the topic resonates with me. I have dozens of blogs on my personal list and keep them because each has resonated at some point or another.

Today, there were TWO posts I read carefully.

First, a post from Mom-101 about body image. As a woman who now has a daughter, I'm hyper-mindful about what I teach her about how I view my own body. I try desperately not to pass on my own obsessions and issues to her. The link provides insight about what many of us are thinking--how do we teach our kids to be healthy and not unhealthy about their weight. Eat right. Exercise. Moderate. Allow treats. Forgive.

The second was from The Complete Guide to Imperfect Homemaking about the ever-present mommy-wars. I think we all do what we do because we think it's right. However, we judge because we are insecure. We only realize that alternate methods to not threaten our own parenting once we overcome that insecurity. It takes time--more time that I have spent parenting so far! However, as I already mentioned, we need to forgive ourselves and other parents. We're all just doing the best we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment